Tennisopolis : Tennis Social Network

Prodigy From 4 Years Ago. [A Where-Are-They-Now Installment]

In light of the viral video about Gabby Price, our friend Guga points to another tennis prodigy that was crowned 4 years ago: Deiton Baughman.

Here's the promo video on local Fox News affiliate that reminded Guga of the Gabby price vid:
Deiton Baughman Video

Deiton appears to still be playing competitive tennis, but he is not the top dog in 18s. This just shows that the top kids at 9 and 12 years old are not necessarily the top at 18 and much less 24.

Views: 3071

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

we all know what happened to Justin Gimelstob  the former number 1 junior in the world. who played with ashway string ( crap strings )

Well, he became a TV announcer. Hehe

Correction we all know what happened to his tennis career.  even though i do have a loss to his brother.

In September 2006 he had back surgery to remove two large disc fragments that were cutting off the nerves in his right leg.[21] The injury was so bad that he had begun to lose feeling in his right leg.[22]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Gimelstob

Justin is a wimp, I had the same injury and still have disc material floating around my nerve canal, get some numbness is left foot occasionally. It is no fun, luckily I had a lot of room around my nerve so material doesn't pinch too much. 

Floating disc material in the nerve canal. That's scary!

Yep, been able to play tennis, hoops, golf, softball for over 10 years with it in there, however it does shift occasionally and that shuts me down for a few days. I can tell when that is coming. Doc said if you are playing golf month after rupture we are not going in ti fish that stuff out.

Everybody?

Did you see the Fox News video on Deiton?

Here's a write up on his surprising run at the 2012 Orange Bowl:  http://www.usta.com/Youth-Tennis/Junior-Competition/unseeded_baughm...

Yeah, DB is still only 16 or 17 now but is top 10 in country for high school juniors not too bad. But the road to the pro's is quite a long one.

Nice compact forehand, flat steady backhand. How's his serve?

RSS

Like Us!

Marketplace

© 2024   Created by Mark / The Mayor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service