Tennisopolis : Tennis Social Network

I want to buy a new tennis racket and not too sure what is good or best to my fitting. Don't know my level but played on the tennis team when I was in high school (10 years ago). I am more of a baseliner player and hit fairly flat....not much of a topspinner. Any suggestions would be awesome!

Views: 219

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

my Professional Opinion is
if you are still Athletic and Over 30 no more than 59LBS.
If you are a 3.0 to a 4.0 no MOre than 59LBS
57lbs is a good start
Lazy and Weak 40 LBS or Clay
and Use Poly anything cheap
All depends on your swing/power/money etc this is what ive demo'd

I like heavy rackets/all courter

babolat pure drive roddick- lovely baseline racket but too much power for me/poor volleys
bab aero pro- as above and too light for me
head presige MP- really good all court racket
Fischer Magnetic Pro 98- lovely! baseline and net, good weight

I notice a lot of baseliners stick with the babolats, wilson k98 is a lovely racket too, but Im a huge fan of the pure drive roddick, great from the baseline so much power for a players frame.
Tension I would try something mid range 56Lbs
Strings also depends on your arm but prob start with something reasonable- prince syn gut is popular with a poly on mains

good luck

ps my racket is a fischer comp 95 strung at 58Lbs kirschbaum multifibre on crosses, just put big banger alu on mains and its started off rather well (rather stiff string- arm hurting a bit!) if you join my racket group you may get more advice there................

rich
I dont know how he plays or what he likes. Heavy racquets are 12oz and up, my TypeC pro kennex(discontinued) 13oz even my k factors ruffly 12oz and its too light. light racquets are closer to 10 oz and med-heavy are 11 11.5, in my opinion.

richard meaghan said:
All depends on your swing/power/money etc this is what ive demo'd

I like heavy rackets/all courter

babolat pure drive roddick- lovely baseline racket but too much power for me/poor volleys
bab aero pro- as above and too light for me
head presige MP- really good all court racket
Fischer Magnetic Pro 98- lovely! baseline and net, good weight

I notice a lot of baseliners stick with the babolats, wilson k98 is a lovely racket too, but Im a huge fan of the pure drive roddick, great from the baseline so much power for a players frame.
Tension I would try something mid range 56Lbs
Strings also depends on your arm but prob start with something reasonable- prince syn gut is popular with a poly on mains

good luck

ps my racket is a fischer comp 95 strung at 58Lbs kirschbaum multifibre on crosses, just put big banger alu on mains and its started off rather well (rather stiff string- arm hurting a bit!) if you join my racket group you may get more advice there................

rich
Hello,
choose a racket with weight less than 290 grams,with a grip that fit your size.
String it with low tension( 50 lbs) thats gave you power.

Sincerly,
Ghaith
Yeah coach V is right

I never mentioned the weight i like which is closer to 13oz my fischer is 360g will weight added at 9 and 3 (20g).

All depends on the weight you can handle IMO more weight the better control i have. so as you have played before Id go with a racket that is mid range 300-320g and MP head size 95-100, start tension in middle of range like coach V stated
More weight = better control???
I hope this is true. It's strange that I have never heard this before Richard. Are you sure about this? If so, I'm going to go demo some heavier racquets right away.
Mark / Mr. Mayor said:
More weight = better control???
I hope this is true. It's strange that I have never heard this before Richard. Are you sure about this? If so, I'm going to go demo some heavier racquets right away.

Yeah light rackets=power
heavy rackets=control
head heavy=power
tight string=control
loose strings=power

but its all a balance between a lot of things, I for instance need to tighten my strings to the higher end of the range to compensate now that i have added weight to 9 and 3 as my racket has become too powerful cos ive moved the balance closer to the middle of the racket. You see i like the weight cos it seems to give me a lot more control as i have a big swing. If i had a lighter racket the ball would end up in row z!
All of that makes sense. Of course I knew about the string relationship to power and that explaings what is going on with my current setup. I have a head heavy racquet and use a tight tension to balance that a bit. What I'd like to try is a heavier stick with grip-heavy(?) and softer strings...
M

richard meaghan said:
Mark / Mr. Mayor said:
More weight = better control???
I hope this is true. It's strange that I have never heard this before Richard. Are you sure about this? If so, I'm going to go demo some heavier racquets right away.

Yeah light rackets=power
heavy rackets=control
head heavy=power
tight string=control
loose strings=power

but its all a balance between a lot of things, I for instance need to tighten my strings to the higher end of the range to compensate now that i have added weight to 9 and 3 as my racket has become too powerful cos ive moved the balance closer to the middle of the racket. You see i like the weight cos it seems to give me a lot more control as i have a big swing. If i had a lighter racket the ball would end up in row z!
Mark / Mr. Mayor said:
All of that makes sense. Of course I knew about the string relationship to power and that explaings what is going on with my current setup. I have a head heavy racquet and use a tight tension to balance that a bit. What I'd like to try is a heavier stick with grip-heavy(?) and softer strings...
M

richard meaghan said:
Mark / Mr. Mayor said: why dont you try the wilson k six-one its not so different from your n tour two.
Its head light, heavier and a lovely control orientated racket. you could loosen the strings up but it already has a lot of power, maybe adding a little weight at 9 and 3 and keep the strings tight-ish, it'll give it more of the balance of your n tour??
More weight = better control???
I hope this is true. It's strange that I have never heard this before Richard. Are you sure about this? If so, I'm going to go demo some heavier racquets right away.

Yeah light rackets=power
heavy rackets=control
head heavy=power
tight string=control
loose strings=power

but its all a balance between a lot of things, I for instance need to tighten my strings to the higher end of the range to compensate now that i have added weight to 9 and 3 as my racket has become too powerful cos ive moved the balance closer to the middle of the racket. You see i like the weight cos it seems to give me a lot more control as i have a big swing. If i had a lighter racket the ball would end up in row z!
I'm 3.0...and I've been using volkl racquet i inherited its 110sq in. and 10.2 1/2 overgrip....
im a petit and small grip....so I demoed this babolat aero 112....its was perfect! grip size was 1/4 and just over 9 ounces 112 sq in...
then i found out that it's more than 200 bucks unstrung....i just think it's not necessary for a beginner like myself to spend that much money on my first comfortable racquet.
im specifically looking for anything less than 10oz, bigger head that has the right amount of power because thats what i personally lack of....any suggestions?
My best bet is..
Demo 3-5 rackets with 100sq.in., 10-11oz
Choose 1 and make mods later as you get better
Hi Truc,

Our suggestion would be to demo, demo, demo. Get on court with a few racquets to begin to narrow it down. Talk directly with other players and the head of performance racquets at Prince is another way to start to identify potential frames. You can do that here: at www.princetennis.com/exo3/blog It is a brand new feature that lets players talk directly with one of the world's leading experts on racquets. He can help steer you in the right direction.

Also, we offer a racquet selector - which might help - if you know your a few basic preferences, and traits of your game: RACQUET SELECTOR

Just suggestions, but hope this helps get you started!

- Prince
www.princetennis.com/exo3

RSS

Like Us!

Marketplace

© 2014   Created by Mark / The Mayor.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service