Tennisopolis : Tennis Social Network

Post PICs of your woody that you play With........er........ tennis Racquets I mean. Post only the racquets

Views: 1879

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been trying so HARD to ignore this thread. I mean, does anybody even play with a wood racquet anymore?!?
:-)
The answer is no because it Requires skill to use. Recreational players are looking for a quick fix and not life long learning experience.
( you can ignore the rest Im just running my mouth)
old wooden racquet are hard to come by. you may buy them brand new From TW or other places But in Atlanta I have Been Finding them all over the place. Goodwill mostly. The Ability to play with a wooden racquet will teach you far more about hitting than any other racquet or technology.
1.to hit with power you must take a full swing.
2 to hit with with heavy spin you must have fast hand/s
3. to have finesse you must use the sweet spot
4. you instantly know you missed hit
5. Must get the racquet head under the ball and be watchfull on the ball.
these skills are the foundation for great tennis players. Kids Must use woodies.

MY Tournament KIDS: I have been making my players use woodies for Focus, feel, Weight and Kicks and giggles. I have a 2 diamond prostaff jack Kramer in Playing condition which I bought for 5 dollars at the good will. I can kick but with it and It plays very similar to my Kfactor Tour 90. Except its Heavier.

Non Profit work: I run many Quickstart Programs for the USTA. the Kids who receive my coaching have never had an opportunity to play tennis. The Kids are in Need of Help a Majority of the time. Tennis Can be a great way for them to escape their environment as it did for me in my life. Being a Good player and Coach I use woodies during these Events because the Racquets are Cheap and they can allow these unfortunate kids equipment which is what the tennis industry runs by. A win with a woody and a Win with my kfactor is still a win.

EXtra notes: I was invited to the Live Exhibition at the Atlanta Country club here in Atlanta GA ( redundant ). Pete samprass VS Todd Martian. Todd Whips out a Jack Kramer and makes Pete play with it for a while. ( So he can Catch up a Bit). why would a Top class player be caring a woody. and I am Pretty sure he didnt go to the good will to buy it.

Mark / Mr. Mayor said:
I've been trying so HARD to ignore this thread. I mean, does anybody even play with a wood racquet anymore?!?
:-)
okay...i was wondering if this was just a joke... a pun... but if you can, try it. we once had a wood racquet tournament, and the thing you find... you can't put the ball away--you can't hit hard enough so the serves aren't big, there are returns, and the ball stays in play... it's hilarious...

if you can't get woodies, get kid racquets... same concept... and HILARIOUS...

http://tennisopolis.com/video/bronx-tennis-championships-bronx-tenn... me and my 5.0 friend playing a match. Im using a woody.

Umm putting the ball away is the same with any racquet. A woody tournament what was your turnout?

Gary Sakuma said:
okay...i was wondering if this was just a joke... a pun... but if you can, try it. we once had a wood racquet tournament, and the thing you find... you can't put the ball away--you can't hit hard enough so the serves aren't big, there are returns, and the ball stays in play... it's hilarious...

if you can't get woodies, get kid racquets... same concept... and HILARIOUS...
Here is my Current woody I play With. Its Seems very Long but its Average Sized. Its just the Photo. Its Straight. its not bent in the shaft. it feels good when holding it and its heavy. from 12 to 13.5 oz, the Head is a small but I can get the job done. Remember its not the Sizes of the Ship err. I mean Its the player not the racquet.
Attachments:
Oh, I love the Jack Kramer! The most classic frame of them all. Actually my first racquet was a Kramer Jr. that I used when I was about 9 I guess. I used to see the Kramer frames at thrift stores and I regret never buying one. I know that there are a lot of people who collect wood racquets - it's still relatively cheap for most frames.

I've heard of woody tournaments before too - there is a tennisopolis member that promoted one on here a couple of years ago. I'd love to have one at my club but fear it would be difficult to get many players to try it.
Randy how do you play with balls with this woody it has no strings attached??

Randy Lynn Rutledge said:
Tennis racquet: Woodie (Prince): Ash & Maple with graphite inlays & overlays;
Recommended string tension 70-76 Lbs.

coach i used to play with a prince woodie in high school .... My best friend had a pro kennex golden ace which was a midsize version of this racquet.   Your'e right, it takes skill to play with a wood racquet.  I played some of my best tennis with one !

On special occasions I pull out my woody and play with it...
(That didn't come out the way I wanted it to!)

A Walnut Rod Laver- with orginal gut strings and the shrink wrap still on the grip-it gets slippery fast when I play with it
(OK- I'm just going to stop!!!)
I have recently lent my woody to a female coach who is trying to get better at playing. I told her if you play with my woody it will teach you allot because it longer and heavier than the ones around today.
SHOW ME YOUR WOODY

RSS

Like Us!

Marketplace

© 2024   Created by Mark / The Mayor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service