Tennisopolis : Tennis Social Network

Any tennis pro's want to talk taxes with me? I have an independent contractor like I am sure many of you are.

I have a checking account that I deposit all the checks I get all year in it (about 6 grand)
I pay my director 25% and that makes it pretty easy to keep track of the cash (more than checks)

I teach an 8th grade pe class 2 months of the yr and teach 2 free clinics that the club pays me for. And I file these W2's

As far as writing things off... my business needs to make money right? If I did it for real with racquets bag, shoes, balls, basket, mower, 2 hoppers, stupid plastic tubes, tournament entry fee's, travel expenses I could account for more expenses than I made during the year.

Any advice from someone that has done this before?

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You need to ID the expenses related to teaching.  So no Tourney fees or touney travel.  The racquets and class balls are write offs of course.
I can claim tournament prize winnings too...
well let's see, I usually write off health insurance, uspta fees, travel fees to conventions, balls, equipment. No tourney travel stuff, but I guess if you are declaring your winnings you should count expenses. I take to my accountant, he does not let me deduct clothing and shoes.
Hal that's great advice. To run a 60kish operation what am I looking at tax's wise? I imagine I have to pay them? I have only done w2's... I worked the front desk at the sparetime indoor before

this is fed, need to add for state

Single 2011 Tax Brackets

Taxable Income
Marginal Tax Rate:
$0-$8,500 10%
$8,500-$34,500 15%
$34,500-$83,600 25%
$83,600-$174,400 28%
$174,400-$379,150 33%
$379,150+ 35%

I had 20k set aside but ended up with way less tax, but that's more because we file joint return.

California

Tax Bracket (yearly earnings) Tax Rate (%)
$0+ 1%
$7,168+ 2%
$16,994+ 4%
$26,821+ 6%
$37,233+ 8%
$47,055+ 10%
$1,000,000+ 11%

35% of the profits more or less? So stack up some expenses?

I may not file tournament winnings. It was just to make me feel cool =)
Hey, thanks for your help hal. This is legit information for me
no problem, if you try to take tourney expenses than you will want tourney winnings
And that is when you lose college ability. You sort of brought scattered pieces of information together for me. Thanks again
yes, also your eligibility clock starts when you play your first season and first semester for D1, 5 years to play 4, I don't know D3 and NAIA rules anymore used to be something like 12 semesters of 12 units...

RSS

Like Us!

Marketplace

© 2024   Created by Mark / The Mayor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service