Tennisopolis : Tennis Social Network

"The Top Two" Becomes "The Top Three" Becomes "The Other Top Two"

Watch out!  It takes the tennis commentators so long to recognize that Nole has joined Fed and Nadal and that there is a "top three".  They waited too long and now there is a gap leaving Fed out of the new "top two".  Thoughts?

Views: 71

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm too lazy to look up last year's records, but the only matches Federer has lost this year are against Nadal and Djokovic. Fed is far from done. In my meaningless opinion there's the top 3, and then the rest of the field.

As far as points go, only 1,170 points separate Djokovic and Nadal, while 1,250 pts separate Federer and Djokovic. The separation between #3 Federer and #4 Murray spot jumps to 2,995 points. I think it's safe to say there's a top 3 that will likely go back and forth at least for another year or three.

I think there is a top two (Rafa and Djoko), then Fed, and then the rest.  There might not be a whole lot of separation between Fed and Djoko at the moment, but that is quickly growing.  Neither of the Top two are even remotely afraid of Fed anymore.  He looks washed up when he plays them.  When he walks off the court he looks like he has his tail between his legs.  They have totally surpassed him.  And, it is just a matter of time before the rest of the field does the same.  It is sad, to see a great one decline in ability and speed.  And those are what have stood out the most with the recent beat downs.

Fed finished 2010 by beating both of them in the ATP championships (Djokovic quite handily), which btw was only 5 months ago!!  I think it's too early to say all of a sudden Federer is not in their league.  The journalists are always looking for a new story, a new attention grabber.  A way to play into the "what have you done for us lately" mentality.  Nadal will rule on clay, there is little reason to think otherwise.  Federer is always tough on grass.  We'll see, the year is still young.  Nothing to take away from Djokovic though, he is hot right now, on hard courts not coincidentally.

Federer is getting older and this can't be ignored.  I just think it's way too premature to say this is the end of an era.

Fed finished 2010 by beating both of them in the ATP championships (Djokovic quite handily), which btw was only 5 months ago!!  I think it's too early to say all of a sudden Federer is not in their league.  The journalists are always looking for a new story, a new attention grabber.  A way to play into the "what have you done for us lately" mentality.  Nadal will rule on clay, there is little reason to think otherwise.  Federer is always tough on grass.  We'll see, the year is still young.  Nothing to take away from Djokovic though, he is hot right now, on hard courts not coincidentally.

Federer is getting older and this can't be ignored.  I just think it's way too premature to say this is the end of an era.

like.

I'm really starting to believe that Nole was mentally checked out from the YEC when Fed took him out. Novak may have been looking forward to the DC final vs. France. I still believe there is a top 3 with Federer fading into the one slam "Djokovic" role from earlier.

I think that the real slight is to Andy Murray because as little as a year ago there was a "Big" 4 on top of the ATP. AM did make the Final of THIS year's AO, but that is what happens when you lose to Donald Young and then bomb out of your next ATP 1000 event.

After what I seen this really may be the end of an era. Nadal has even gone on record saying the "duopoly" is over for the ATP. This looks like, as much as I hate to admit, the "Age of the Djoker"! Unless Clayman (Rafa) can return to his beloved soil and become reborn again as he has done for so many years before. Its Novak's world and we are all just paying rent! 

You Jazz, are a great writer!  If Nole can beat Nadal on clay, then that will be something to see - but I think if they get head to head, I give it to Nadal.  I just have a strange feeling that Nadal will trip up along the way.
I don't know guys, I think there must be something in that clay that just infuses Rafa.  Last year he came away from the AO and the other hard court tournaments injured.  Then out of no where he rocked the clay, something that hadn't been done before.  This year, he is healthy already, and has admitted to looking forward to playing on the clay again.  It is like his lifeblood.  The only thing I can think of as a similarity is (because I have little kids) the whole Percy Jackson thing with him touching water and regaining his strength and becoming untouchable.  It just seems the same with Mr. Nadal.  He just perks up, plays smarter, more aggressive, and it seems to carry him at least through Wimbledon.  I don't think Rafa will trip up.  If anything, he may gain more inspiration in how to deal with Nole.

You are absolutely right, and my sense that Rafa will have a bad FO is completely unfounded in history and current form.  It's just a gut feeling, and for me those are only right about a half of the time -  when we're talking tennis picks.

Nadal is Percy Jackson, breathing underwater and creating tsunamis of clay dust.

But getting back to the original point of this thread, I think we are just making the point even more.  Nadal and Djoker will shine in Roland Garros.  CAN FEDERER MAKE THE SEMIFINAL?

I should put money on a Nadal - Djokovic final.  I really should.
Yes, that's definitely the chalk at this point.
Especially with Federer going down to Melzer this morning in Monte Carlo.
Melzer just took out Fed, in straight sets on clay.  I just am not seeing the Fed being a factor on clay.  People are just not afraid of him anymore.  Yes, he beat both Djoko and Nadal at the end of the year, but really how much did Nadal have left after an incredible year, and I too think Djoko was more focused on DC.  I really think it is the big Two, then Fed (on a good day) and then the rest.  As was seen today, even Melzer had enough game to beat him in straights on what Fed was just claiming is his next best surface.  I think he said, "I grew up on clay."  The days of Fed in the discussion I am afraid are almost over.  Mayor, I think you could possibly put money on that.

RSS

Like Us!

Marketplace

© 2024   Created by Mark / The Mayor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service