Tennisopolis : Tennis Social Network

Is awesome!

Sandbagging- the art of playing in a division that is easy for you to dominate.

Why? Because these leagues have post seasons in cool places :)

I think it is most prevalent in the USTA leagues. When I moved to sac I could win every 5.0 tournament but couldn't make the 5.0 team I wanted to be on.

The best sandbag I ever played was connor olson in a 5.0 (#1 for sonoma state that year, and the next, and the previous) I was pissed at first, thinking he is not a 5.0! But the truth is you have to beat everyone sometime and when people lose to me that is the first thing they say.

The best sandbag I have ever seen was eric holmes (davis player) playing 4.5

Best expierence being a sandbagger- I was playing the #1 5.0 in norcal. On my way to beating him 6-0 6-0 we got in a screaming match. From baseline to baseline he yelled "you sand bagging POS you are not a 5.0!" (Saying I am too good) I told him, "no. Your not a 5.0! Your terrible" We have played against each other since then and he apologized. (I won that match too)

Has anyone ever lost to a sandbagger? Has anyone ever played the roll of sandbagger?
post your stories here!

Views: 1584

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with that.

When you start competing you will learn quick that it is easy to play up and hard to play down.

In a tournament playing down is an important skill so you can get off the court, in the shade, and start drinking water before your next round opponent is done playing. Beating someone you are better than 0 and 0 is hard to do.

This guy is on the johnson ranch 5.0 team so it wasn't totally "unfair." I beat their singles player 0 and 0 last yr so I thought I might win, and that is why I approached the match like I did.
Easy to get snagged into a lower level play if you don't finish him off hard. Big time lesson in racquetball tournament play. I would just fire my serves without charity or pity and get it done fast.
#1- it is an insult to play easy

#2- when it is for money, all bets are off. In open mixed doubles I hit it to the girl no matter what
On a spiritual level in martial arts, there is much respect for honest display of skill by his adversary, even if it wounds him. Boxers admit getting rocked by a punch all the time. It should be the same way in tennis.
Being the #1 seed is tough bc everyones out to get you and feels no pressure in losing to you. Tough to overcome that. It is also hard to beat someone twice. In norcal section final at pebble beach our 5.0 team lost to a team we had already beat. We played like scared favorotes and they played like fearless underdogs and that was that
Funny you should mention Martial Arts Tim.  Did you study the art?  If so, what style?  I earned my first degree black belt in 1990 in Tae Kwon Do.  I took first place in the U.S OPEN in 1992.  And I took 2nd place in 1991 All California Open, I lost to Ernie Reyes JR.  You may be familiar with him, he played in many movies including:  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,  Rush Hour 2, The Rundown etc. so I was happy with 2nd place lol
*note to self. Don't ever ever question one of Mike Dong's line calls.
Hahaha funny John.  I'm actually very honest in my line calls.  I'm actually known for playing balls that are obviously out to others.  I just don't feel right calling a ball out if I'm not 100% sure it's out.  But, back to the subject...You're a BEAST!  You're killing it at the 5.0 level!  And I love your sand bagging strategy.  Enjoy it while you can bud, your getting bumped!  I admire your tennis skills and tennis game altogether!
Me too. I have played so much doubles that I suck at calling the service line. I am used to having someone help me out. In my 2 matches thursday I had 3 or 4 points where I returned a serve, noticed he wasn't moving and he got a late start. He barley gets to it and lays it in the middle of the court, now what? I just rolled it back in the middle bc I felt dirty. Then I get mad at myself for not playing hard, so from now on I am going to make a habbit of wining that point and talking about it later. People complain what we do, calling the back serve line generously, is another form of cheating. Is it? Idk but I want all the points from now on

Just last night I got in a pretty serious bickering match with a good friend of mine over a line call of mine. I hope hehe forgives me. He won the game and that makes me feel better but he has a clay court and he's a big guy that I would never want to fight.

I feel at peace with my calls bc people make comments both ways.

It is very difficult to call the service line correctly. I'm sure some people would rather you call the ball out than play it out with the silent confusion, maybe they think it was out as well? That's understandable, because then you might be accused of picking out good returns to use, say if you blasted a great return.

My practice is to hit my returns hard regardless if it was in or out by inches. I was accused by the opposing net guy of trying to hit him because of that. I told him I might really hit him the next time and he has to protect himself at all times. Then we argued back and forth. It was real nasty. 

Mike, I have been just looking at some kung fu/ jeet kune do stuff, videos and books, but I watch alot of boxing. Wow, you are a Tae Kwon Do master then. Excellent tournament results!

You have an attention to form. I can tell from the tennis photos you put up.

funny

RSS

Like Us!

Marketplace

© 2024   Created by Mark / The Mayor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service