Tennisopolis : Tennis Social Network

Is awesome!

Sandbagging- the art of playing in a division that is easy for you to dominate.

Why? Because these leagues have post seasons in cool places :)

I think it is most prevalent in the USTA leagues. When I moved to sac I could win every 5.0 tournament but couldn't make the 5.0 team I wanted to be on.

The best sandbag I ever played was connor olson in a 5.0 (#1 for sonoma state that year, and the next, and the previous) I was pissed at first, thinking he is not a 5.0! But the truth is you have to beat everyone sometime and when people lose to me that is the first thing they say.

The best sandbag I have ever seen was eric holmes (davis player) playing 4.5

Best expierence being a sandbagger- I was playing the #1 5.0 in norcal. On my way to beating him 6-0 6-0 we got in a screaming match. From baseline to baseline he yelled "you sand bagging POS you are not a 5.0!" (Saying I am too good) I told him, "no. Your not a 5.0! Your terrible" We have played against each other since then and he apologized. (I won that match too)

Has anyone ever lost to a sandbagger? Has anyone ever played the roll of sandbagger?
post your stories here!

Views: 1584

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I definitely agree with you about the pressure of a tournament validating a stroke, or the problem of deciding which style to use. There is much less mental time to decide, plus it is more difficult to hit on the run. You are more than right about that, you are wise about that.

Yes, I think video analysis is a huge edge and whoever uses it has a huge advantage, U.S. or not U.S.. It is important to analyze and be able to see exactly what one is doing.

John, I would love to see your clay court matches. Do you play S&V on clay, or do you mix it all court and choose selective approaches?

I had lost the previous 9 points I tried to serve and volley on clay. I lost the 3 points I tried to serve and volley yesterday. I really have to make the first volley count because I go sliding into the net after.

Both of my opponents took the net a lot against me yesterday when they realized they were in trouble. They won some points but if I got the ball low they would lose their balance and the pass was easy.

Selective approach... well put

It is really hard for me to get enough grip to change directions on the second volley split step on clay. That first volley is super important. Do you have any digital recording of it? 

It's a wonder Mac got to the French Open final. Great first volleyer.

You are absolutely correct about the approach.  I used to be strictly S&V, and the few times I played on clay taught me very quickly the art of patience and selective approach.  It is way too easy to get burned by a great passing shot if your approach is not low, and causing you opponent to move.  I really had to learn patience otherwise I would lose badly.  But once figured out, I was able to turn the tide and win.  It was a very difficult long match.
Any luck with fuzzy yellow balls?
I think I would take Soderling over Roddick, Querrey, Fish, Blake, Harrison put together. just kidding.
Ah hah! I caught a sandbagger gettin ready for this 5.0 season. Todd stanley appealed and was granted a 5.0 rating. He went 4-0 on his 5.5 team last yr. 16-0 the previous year when they won 5.0 nationals and I watched him beat a top 1000 guy 2 years in a row at the JRRC roundup.

I heard he asked kuhney to be on his team. He's good. He will obviously get Rutzey and maybe Scurf. But come on, who. Is he gonna get? BRING IT ON!
Todd wouldn't be putting together a team if he didn't think he could win. That is justt how he is.

I have another match on clay wednesday. I feel like I am sandbagging but they already told me I wouldn't be invited back so I better hurry and win the $250
I won another match in that league today. 6-0 6-0. I will be the #1 seed of the final 4. I better make this one count because I wont be invited back next year =/
That's great! Show them what being #1 is all about then. [thumbs up]
That's what I am saying. I started this thread by saying sandbagging is awesome =) the guy I beat was happy about it too. He said it was a free lesson on clay, he wasn't pissed.
Yeah, it is a fantastic free lesson, letting the others feel how it is play against a (much) higher level. You should only get the trophy only after you've learned everything.

RSS

Like Us!

Marketplace

© 2024   Created by Mark / The Mayor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service