Tennisopolis : Tennis Social Network

Djokovic is back at #1 in the world after 2012 US Open final!

By advancing two rounds further than rival Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic extended his lead over the Swiss in just 2012 ATP points race.

Following his US Open runner-up finish, Djokovic now has 9,910 points this year. US Open quarterfinalist Federer is second at 8,905 and then it’s the injured Rafael Nadal with 6,840 followed in fourth by US Open champion Andy Murray at 6,730.

Djokovic entered the US Open with a 165 point lead over Federer in 2012 points.

“I’m going to continue on to do what I’ve done so far,” Djokovic said yesterday. “I have a great team of people around me. Being No. 1 of the world this year, end of this year is, yes, one of the objectives. I’m going to try to recover from this and move on.”

Djokovic’s 1,005 points lead in tenuous at best. Federer amassed 3,000 points post-US Open year ago and with 1,000 point events like Shanghai, Paris and the 1,500 point ATP World Tour finals the No. 1 year-end Race is far from decided. Even Murray could factor by November.

“All players, once you get near to the top of the game, that’s one of the goals is to try and get to the world No. 1,” Murray said. “I can’t say this year it’s necessarily possible for me to do it because I didn’t have a particularly good clay court season and I didn’t do well in the Masters Series in Cincinnati and Montreal and also in Indian Wells. I had too many losses early in those tournaments.

“I’m definitely going to try. It’s something I’d love to do, to get to No. 1. It’s a very tough thing to do.”

Murray is scheduled to return to ATP tennis on October 1 in Tokyo. Djokovic will resume in Beijing that same week while Federer will play his next tournament the week after in Shanghai.

In the 52-week ATP rankings, Federer remains No. 1 followed by Djokovic and then Murray who slides ahead of Nadal.

Current ATP Race rankings:
1. Djokovic 9,910
2. Federer 8.905
3. Nadal 6,840
4. Murray 6,730

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2012-09-11/10709.php

Views: 68

Reply to This

Like Us!

Marketplace

© 2024   Created by Mark / The Mayor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service