Tennisopolis : Tennis Social Network

So all the hype about the new up-and-comer Kei Nishikori from Japan, gets a reality shot. Andy runs right through him in San Jose. Do you think Kei is for real?

-

Top seed Andy Roddick beat impressive Japanese teenager Kei Nishikori 6-2 6-4 in the second round of the San Jose Open on Thursday.

Nishikori won his first career title last week in Delay Beach but was no match for Roddick, who relied on a huge serve and solid play at the net to see off the 18-year-old.

In other second round matches, towering American John Isner fought off three match points to upset third seed Tommy Haas 4-6 7-6 6-3, while second seed James Blake moved on with a 6-3 6-4 victory over Jesse Levine.

Roddick said it was one of the best matches he had played in over the past six months and that he knew he needed to step up a level to dispense with his young opponent.

"I was tight about this match," Roddick said.

"I watched him yesterday and he was crushing the ball. So I was going to try to use everything to try to get a win out there. I was very impressed with him. I think he's going to be a player."

After Roddick took the first set 6-2, the two traded early breaks in the second. Nishikori then committed three unforced errors in a row to lose the set 6-4 and hand Roddick victory.

"I'm not feeling good," Nishikori said. "I made too many easy mistakes. I had so many chances. I didn't play well."

Roddick will face another American, Mardy Fish, who beat Germany's Denis Gremelmayr 6-7 6-3 6-3.

Views: 14

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah. Roddick's serve is just too much to handle for someone so new on the tour. I'm sure Kei hasn't seen many serves as strong.

But it was definitely interesting that Andy was "up" for this match. "I was tight about this match," Roddick said. "I watched him yesterday and he was crushing the ball. So I was going to try to use everything to try to get a win out there. I was very impressed with him. I think he's going to be a player."

RSS

Like Us!

Marketplace

© 2024   Created by Mark / The Mayor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service