Tennisopolis : Tennis Social Network

There's been a lot of talk about America's future in tennis. We have John Isner and Donald Young - the horizon is pretty bleak. But Young has been winning some matches lately. So what do you think, will Young make a dent on the circuit?
Read this about Donald getting a little pissed yesterday in his loss to Delic.

____

Young shows age in ITC defeat
At 18, Donald Young ended last season as the youngest player ranked in the top 100 and is often touted for possessing the talent of an older, more established, player.

But on Wednesday night at the International Tennis Championships, Young behaved poorly.

Frustrated after squandering a 5-0 lead in the first set, the 95th-ranked Young started to pout, then started to whine -- the perfect scenario for the more experienced Amer Delic to rally for a 7-6 (9-7), 6-3 victory.

The win was sweet revenge for the 120th-ranked Delic, who was the victim of Young's first career ATP Tour victory in the first round of the New Haven (Conn.) tournament in August.

''I've beaten him before,'' Young, who tossed his racket out of the stadium after the first set and mumbled under his breath. ``It shouldn't have gone to a tiebreaker in that first set.''

The first set was rife with opportunity for Young, who watched every chance he had dissipate.

Failing to serve out the opening set at 5-1 and 5-3, Young then lost two set points on Delic's serve in the 10th game. Once in the tiebreaker, Young had four set points from 6-3, but also couldn't manage to safeguard the first set.

Delic, 25, required only one set point to get the job done. Young's response was to throw his racket out of the stadium.

''Obviously, I was frustrated,'' said Young, who is 2-15 in ATP matches.
ATP supervisor Mark Darby was not amused by Young's behavior and released an official statement: ``The incident will be reviewed and additional disciplinary action is possible.''

As Young was on court breaking down, top seed James Blake was discussing the up-and-coming American after his own 7-5, 7-5 victory over Robert Kendrick, in the first match of a rain-plagued day.

Blake got to know Young when the teen was invited to be a practice partner during last year's Davis Cup quarterfinal round against Spain in Winston-Salem, N.C.

The experience made Blake and the other Americans want to help Young if he was interested in receiving advice.

''I really haven't been able to take him under my wing,'' Blake said.
Young, however, supports the choice of keeping himself insulated in the coaching cocoon of his parents -- mother, Illona, who was in Delray Beach this week, and dad, Donald Sr.

''It's got me to where I am,'' he said. ``I am doing pretty good. I don't see other 18-year-olds in the top 100.''

Sixth-seeded Vince Spadea of Boca Raton won his first-round match with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Denis Gremelmayr of Germany.

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anyone have a YouTube link to Donald throwing his racquet out of the stadium?
"I am doing pretty good. I don't see other 18-year-olds in the top 100."

Apparently he's never heard of Maria (17 at Wimbledon, right?)
I searched for ""donald young" delic" and no results. :-(
Andrew, surely he is thinking on the men's side.
How old is Murray for instance?
M
I have still yet to take Donald under my wing. On tour, he sure seems like a nice kid. Although his brake down in Del Ray was unacceptable, at one time or another, every tour player feels like throwing their racquet out of the stadium! Ha ha, Go America!
he's got a long way to go. he should go the college route for awhile so can mature as a player and as a person.
That's not such a bad idea. Even if he's only in college for a couple of years. But wait, that didn't help Johnny Mac mature now that I think about it! LOL.
well mac was much more talented than young. i would go with go with mac in his prime any day against the current players on tour.
Many of you don't seem to remember he was the #1 junior in the world at 16 (The youngest ever) and won the grand slam in juniors. He would not have the practice he needs playing in college. He would, like Mac. win it all in his freshman year. He has the best volleys since Mac. He is still a young kid but once he matures and get stronger so he not being pushed all over the court, which in my option is the problem now. You are looking at a future top 10. This was a rare occurance and not the norm for him.

RSS

Like Us!

Marketplace

© 2024   Created by Mark / The Mayor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service