Tennisopolis : Tennis Social Network

Hello everyone,

Hope all of you are well. I'm a tennis neophyte in Lake City, don't even have a racket yet. Just wanted some advice on rackets -- what I should look for when I buy? What's the price range? Any good rackets for reasonable prices?

I need to get some new tennis shoes, so I expect to pay a bit for those.

I was thinking of taking a beginners clinic to get down the basics. Sunday mornings work best for my schedule now. Full-time study and work makes time a premium, but isn't everyone's time??

Thanks for your thoughts. Have a good evening.

LR

Views: 7

Replies to This Discussion

Hey LR,

I started playing tennis last August and I can tell you that it's going to take a year to years before you'll be able to tell the difference between one racquet and another. My suggestion would be to get a racquet with a big head, which will give you a bigger sweet spot and more power. You can easily pick up one of these racquets at any sporting goods store. I got my first racquet at Costco. I wouldn't spend more than 50 bucks.

In terms of shoes, the best pair you can get are Barricade V shoes from Adidas. They'll run you 110 dollars though so I'd suggest getting Prince or Wilson brand, you can get a decent pair for 20-50 bucks.

For lessons, the Amy Yee Tennis Center is good if you can get in a class. The classes are six weeks in length, one day a week and cost around 60-70 dollars. They have very beginning to advanced classes. You can get more info at www.seattle.gov/parks.

I hope this helps, tennis is a great sport!

Justin
I'd recommend a 4-8 points headlight racquet with a high swingweight within that constraint (so the weight is distributed mostly at the top of the racquet and in the handle), then medium stiffness, midplus head size (98 sq. in. say), close to 27 inches in length (27 - 29 inches is tournament length). Go to TennisWarehouse.com and look at the Liquidation racquets they have listed to start with. If you ask me, then the heavier the better pretty much these days, as well (presumably more expensive to manufacture but more weight in the handle and the head makes for a stronger club, both to put spin on the ball with and to protect your arm when making contact). All the pros buy a racquet then put lead tape to add more weight to it, as well. I am just talking based on research/theory though (not experience) and based on what perhaps physically stronger professional players do.

RSS

Like Us!

Marketplace

© 2024   Created by Mark / The Mayor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service