The MTTA Jr Tennis Ladder is designed to create good competition, and a
high level of fun, while increasing our member’s skills and allowing them to
meet other members.
Each week will be given an odd or even designation, with
the first being even, the next odd, and so forth.
During each week, the players on the designated rungs
will be allowed to challenge the person in the rung above them. If the
challenger wins, then the players will switch places (i.e. if you are on an
“even” rung, and you challenge and “odd” rung and win, then you move up.
The next week you will be able to challenge again since you are now an
“odd” rung. If you lose, the positions stay the same and you wait to be
challenged next week.)
The ladder will begin ____________________, 2008
and end __________________, 2008.
1. You may only challenge the person directly above you, except during
the 3-up challenge weeks (see rule 17).
2. Either as a challenger or challenged, you should play one match a
3. The challenge will be one (1) week long (Monday through Sunday).
Exception: Dec. 24 – Jan. 6 is treated as one week.
4. The challenger arranges the match, and must give the challenged a
minimum of two (2) alternative times; one (1) of these must be on the
weekend; the other on a weekday. Please be cooperative when
5. If the challenged is unable to play the match, a default should be
recorded, and the positions exchanged. Default should not be
considered a four-letter word. In order for the ladder to be effective
and fair, players need to take the legitimate defaults and keep moving.
6. Both the challenger and the challenged bring a new can of balls to the
match. You play with one can, the winner takes the unopened can and
the looser takes the can used in the match.
7. Play will be two (2) out of three (3) sets with regular scoring, and a
twelve (12) point tie breaker at six (6) all in any set.
8. If the challenger wins, positions are exchanged, if not, positions
remain the same.
9. The winner is responsible for reporting the outcome of the match to the Director, Mary.
10. All challengers must contact their opponent by Wednesday of the
challenge week. Challenged must have a minimum of two (2) days
advance notice to schedule the match. If challenged after Wednesday,
the challenged is under no obligation to play the match, but is
encouraged to do so.
11. The ladder will be changed by 11:00 AM Monday of the next week,
according to the challenge record book. If it is not in the challenge
record book, your match will not be recorded. Defaults are important
in facilitating movement in the ladder.
12. Once on a division, you must remain there until you can challenge
onto the bottom of the higher division, or be dropped to the top of the
13. Should a ladder position be vacated, a person on the waiting list, or a
bye, will be added to the vacated slot.
14. If either player fails to arrive within fifteen (15) minutes of the
scheduled start time, the challenge is either dropped or defaulted,
depending on which player is late. If a match is defaulted, it should
be recorded as such.
15. If you join late, you can join at the bottom of division three (3), or go
on a waiting list for the first open slot on division one or two.
16. There will be no “no default weeks” (i.e. Thanksgiving week will be
treated as any other week). Instead the two (2) weeks of December 24
– 30 and December 31 – January 6 will be treated as one (1) week.
17. 3-up challenge. In order to mix up the ladder (a little more
movement) we will have 4 x “3-up” challenges as follows:
Week 2: 3-up Odd
Week 5: 3-up Even
Week 8: 3-up Odd
Week 11: 3-up Even
The first 3-up challenge will be the first week of November: (i.e. Nov
5 – Nov 11 is an Odd week, the #13 will challenge #10, #11 will
challenge #8, #9 will challenge #6). Due to the nature of the 3-up
challenge two (2) to three (3) (depending on odd/even week) at the top
or bottom of the ladder may be without a challenge.
Thanks and have fun.
If you have any questions please ask Mary.
Week 1: Oct 29 – Nov 4 = EVEN
Week 2: Nov 5 – Nov 11 = ODD 3-UP
Week 3: Nov 12 – Nov 18 = EVEN
Week 4: Nov 19 – Nov 25 = ODD
Week 5: Nov 26 – Dec 2 = EVEN 3-UP
Week 6: Dec 3 – Dec 9 = ODD
Week 7: Dec 10 – Dec 16 = EVEN
Week 8: Dec 17 – Dec 23 = ODD 3-UP
Week 9: Dec 24 – Jan 6 = EVEN
Week 10: Jan 7 – Jan 13 = ODD
Week 11: Jan 14 – Jan 20 = EVEN 3-UP
The Tournament Weekend: Jan 26-27, 2008