Tennisopolis : Tennis Social Network

Will the "wounded" Federer take a break from the Asian swing of the ATP Tour again?

After clinching Switzerland’s Davis Cup win over the Netherlands with a commanding performance againstRobin HaaseRoger Federer spoke about his plans for the rest of the year.

“I need a holiday badly,” the World No. 1 confessed. “I’m wounded, tired, exhausted. I need some time off right now, and then we’ll see where I go from here. Nothing’s been decided for the rest of the year. Even though there’s a plan in place, that plan might change.”

Federer faces an uphill battle in keeping his World No. 1 ranking through the end of the year. He has 3000 ATP ranking points to defend in 2012, while Djokovic needs to defend just 560. If Djokovic chooses to play even a moderately full schedule, he could overcome Federer’s current 1335 point lead. So it’s possible Federer will not play in Asia, though he had planned to add Shanghai this year, if he decides it is impossible for him to keep the top ranking.

http://www.dropshotdispatch.com/2012/09/16/daily-dispatch-federer-t...

Views: 111

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is difficult for any "wounded and tired" player to play their best tennis.  As Tim points out, the race for the top spot is also impacted by the schedule and success of Djokovic, and to a certain extend Murray.  Holding on would be a phenomenal effort by Federer, who typically schedules himself rather intelligently to allow for top level play at the biggest events.  Impossible to know how he feels mentally and physically, but if a holiday is what he needs, it is probably best for his long-term goals.

Look at the positive, he now holds the record for weeks at number one, and further added to his grand slam record in the process.  In the event he does not finish atop the points race for 2012, let's remind ourselves Federer's been practically injury free throughout his career.  An important factor enabling him to sustain such a high level of play for years - which is a great thing for him and for the game.  

I've always thought Fed could play to 35 years of age or longer. If Andre could do it, no reason why Roger couldn't. I think Roger loves the game as much as Jimmy Connors did. It's gonna be hard for him to leave the court! lol

He certainly does love the game, and the game is so much better because of him.  We've been lucky - 

RSS

Like Us!

Marketplace

© 2024   Created by Mark / The Mayor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service