Tennisopolis : Tennis Social Network

I just wanted to know what do some of you do for tennis elbow? It has affected me for 3-4 weeks now and i can hardly pick up a racket and hit a forehand or backhand!

-Jess

Views: 772

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mr. Jessie L.

I had the elbow pain before, thought it was tennis elbow because I was playing tennis when the injury occurred. When searching for the treatments, I found that the pain I had is called golfer elbow.

Golfer elbow "also known as flexor / pronator tendinopathy this elbow pain is seen in tennis players who use a lot of top spin on their forehand shots". See link below.

Identify the pain

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/elbow_pain.php

I keep this link with me all the time not just for rehab but also for conditioning of my hands and arms.

http://www.hughston.com/hha/a.seven.htm

Rest, medication and rehab are the best solutions for elbow pains, but I know it's not easy when the sun is out.

Get well soon!

The best advice that I have seen (a couple of friends have used this tennis elbow cure to great success) is described in this New York Times articlehttp://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/phys-ed-an-easy-fix-for-te...

I would agree to give it some rest, visit a doctor, maybe take a look at your equipment, is your racket impacting the tennis elbow, change to a more giving string, try Wilson Hollowcore, also look at your grip, perhaps a larger grip might help.

Tennis elbow comes from bad Technique only. you may want to go to the Doctor to check if there is any real damage. Ive got a pinched nerve in my Elbow it will never heal. But with improvement of my tennis technique the pain lessen.

Sincerely

CoachV

www.TennislessonsGA.com

I agree with most that it usually is caused by bad technique.  However, it can also be, in part, from the equipment you are using.  For example a very stiff frame, closed string pattern, and stiff stringing can put stress on your elbow (and shoulder).  I would definitely re-evaluate the racquet, strings and string tension used.

try this stretch to start out, especially if the pain is so bad that you can barely hold

a racquet.

Here are 6 other videos demonstrating great exercises and stretches. I use these stretches almost daily:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=99834DD169FEC2BB

-Todd

Todd is the man.  Pay attention, this stuff works.

1. Learn to play a more relaxed style.   Tennis Elbow means there is too much tension in part of your strokes. 

2. Use a dumbbell like 5# and do forearm rotations, thus strengthening the intercostal muscles between the two bones in your forearm.   When these muscles become stronger and work together better, it takes the strain off the outer or inner muscles of the elbow.   

B

You might want to look into replacing your racquet and string it with some more elastic strings. If you go to http://tenniselbowracquet.com there is a list of the top 10 racquets and top 10 strings to use to help with tennis elbow.

Good luck!

If you are hitting with your elbow bent at contact, with the hinge of the elbow pointed upwards, and palm facing upwards,you will most definitely get tennis elbow, hitting late. If your elbow hinge is pointed upwards, but you have dropped the racquet head to get topspin, there is a lot of torque in the forearm. If you hit the ball off centered and late, then you will get golfer's elbow.

The best way to eliminate tennis elbow is either to make sure you do not bend the elbow at an acute angle, making sure to extend through contact. Hit farther away from the ball, while maintaining the double bend (bent elbow and bent wrist). 80-120 degree bend is acceptable. 30-45 degrees is asking for trouble. Make sure the forearm is ahead of the elbow, hitting earlier and in front of the hip.

Or hit single bend style (no elbow bend-15 degree bend), i.e. Federer or Nadal style or traditional pendulum old school swing with a straight arm. Lots of choices!

If someone showed you the windshield wiper technique wrong, that will cause tennis elbow. If he tells you to pop the bottom of the elbow from facing the ground and then rotate it up to the sky, as if wipering a flat wall, that will most definitely give you tennis elbow. The bottom of the elbow should face the net or right netpost on followthrough, not the sky!

A few years ago I started my journey to convert my old school technique to modern technique.  In the beginning of this journey, I was firming my grip at contact the way I was taught many decades ago when I was hitting old school Eastern drives with heavy, soft wood racquets and gut string.  This resulted in debilitating tennis elbow for the first time in my life.  I couldn't raise my arm out to my side much left pick up a glass of water with my right hand.

However, when I learned to keep my grip as loose as possible at contact, not only did a loose grip at contact increase power and clean ball striking, it CURED my tennis elbow quickly and permanently.  IMO, holding the racquet loose at contact causes the shock of impact with the ball (with very stiff graphite frames and poly string), to terminate in the hand, and prevents it from transferring to the arm.   

RSS

Like Us!

Marketplace

© 2024   Created by Mark / The Mayor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service