Tennisopolis : Tennis Social Network

This is a very lengthy article, so I decided to post the pictures first, before the text explanations. A word of warning. This is an article that focuses on pronation in the serve. I agree with the pronation point of view in many respects. But I am still free to disagree with Anatoly Antipin as far as the statement that turning the body parts other than the forearm and upper arm do not contribute much to the EFFECTIVENESS of the serve.

Sampras' serve is said to have the weight of a bowling ball. I believe the weight comes from the degree he throws his weight behind a very wide coil. He is also said to have the RPM of 4600+ revolutions!

Views: 4635

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If the shoulder internal rotation creates the most to linear movement at 54%, then one should choose the stance that creates the most shoulder rotation without strain.
After fixing the stance, one can pull across the hitting shoulder horizontally and create a few degrees of extra rotation. Sampras does this by pulling his elbow back.
Then the next biggest contributors are the elbow and wrist at 31% according to your article. Here is where the real improvement lies, once your stance is set correctly.
You cannot keep trying to pull the shoulder back any further. You risk getting a rotator cuff tear. Instead, one should concentrate on snapping the arm more efficiently from the upper arm onwards to the wrist.
You can also add slight more rotation by arching. You cannot keep arching too far upwards, because then you will be angled too far upwards and will hit too far long.
A person can just end up trying to do more of something the body can no longer improve on is my point here.

Tim is the Dent grip you are referring to closer to an eastern backhand or eastern forehand?
Neither, David. Instead, it is a modified Continental grip where the thumb and fingers are parallel and across the handle, or perpendicular to the long axis of the racquet itself. Think of the wrist angle created by the forearm and the handle as being 90 degrees.

RSS

Like Us!

Marketplace

© 2024   Created by Mark / The Mayor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service