Tennisopolis : Tennis Social Network

Just ahead of the Davis Cup final, the Czech Republic’s Tomas Berdych tells reporters in Prague that Spain’s Nicolas Almagro isn’t as good as advertised.

Berdych, the No. 1 Czech, will likely face No. 2 Spaniard Almagro on Friday. Berdych and Almagro have a sour on-court history. At the 2012 Australian Open, Berdych refused to shake Almagro’s hand after his fourth-round victory because Almagro hit Berdych in the arm with a ball when he was at net. Berdych later refused to apologize, saying he believed that Almagro was trying to hit him in the face.

Berdych owns a 8-3 record against Almagro and has beaten him four out of the five times they played this year, including at the U.S. Open and most recently indoors in Stockholm.

“I played faced Almagro many times this year and won most of them,” Berdych said. “If he’s nominated, he will be the weak point on which we can build our victory. He’s missing that little something that distinguishes great players [from the rest]. He’s won smaller tournaments won this year. But he always has a chance if he plays.”

Berdych also took a swipe at the Spanish doubles team of Marc Lopez and Marcel Granollers, which just won the ATP World Tour Finals. Berdych will likely pair with Radek Stepanek in doubles. They have won all three of their Davis Cup matches together this year.

“You have to congratulate them, but now they are expected to do something different, so just tell them to hurry up and prepare,” Berdych said.

http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/11/b.../#.UKQEnml243c

Views: 241

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Still holding a grudge, is he?  Not a very gracious guy, this Thomas "Don't hit my face" Berdych.

Time for Birdman revenge. lol

More Pre Davis Cup trash talk from another time. Mikael of TW forum mentions:

Talking of heated Davis Cup ties, anyone remember the Australia-Russia tie where Kafelnikov said he would "give Hewitt a tennis lesson"? Hewitt ended up beating him in straights... and opened his wallet after the match in the press conference, asking Kafelnikov how much he owed him!

Then Kafelnikov complained the grass court played like a potato field and the Australian team threw potatoes on the court after the tie to make fun of him... classic stuff.

Stepanek beats Almagro to win the fifth match rubber and CZE wins Davis Cup!

I can understand Birdmans lack of respect for the guy but at the same time why is he holding a grudge... I have seen Birdman act arrogant and snobby as well but who knows really... I watched the matches in the past and saw almagros attitude on court, not just the way he hit the ball at him. He didnt give off a good vibe in my opinion. Almagro is a hit or miss player, some days hes on and can win sets on clay vs Rafa, other days he will miss every sitting forhand against Stephanek. Personally I play alot better when i have a high respect for my opponent.

Yeah, I think that's Almagro's reputation problem. He comes off like an in your face punk. He had problems with Soderling and Ljubicic, not just Berdych. 

Always give the other guy credit where it is due. Takes the pressure off of you.

RSS

Like Us!

Marketplace

© 2024   Created by Mark / The Mayor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service