Tennisopolis : Tennis Social Network

This will be my first season captaining a 4.5 team of friends that just want to get more playing time and enjoy hanging out with each other. We will keep the team small so that we each play often. I think we will have a middle of the pack kind of team and have explained that to everyone who has joined. I know for a fact that there are two real all-star teams here in town, so it will be difficult to finish ahead of them, but on the flip side, I think there may be a few weaker teams too. 

Has anyone here ever captained a team?  Would love to hear your experiences and advice.

Views: 467

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been a captain for 2 seasons now, and my most important advice is:  make sure every one of your members are completely dedicated to the sport.  It's frustrating going into a season with, say, 8 people for a 3 dubs format, only to find out that 3 can't play a particular day.  Not only are you already outgunned, but you have to default a line as well.

Aside from that, there are a few other things you might need to worry about as a captain, such as who to pair up with who, or who owes what in facility fees, but those are fairly small concerns.  Mainly, just go out there and have fun, especially if you're not in the running for Nationals anyway.

We have from 12-15 players from season to season, and we still have to give up the occasional default. 

I currently play on a 40+ 4.5/5.0 team.  They are nothing like your team.  Other than matches, I never see any of them, and they never respond to emails I send asking if anyone wants to practice.  Granted, some on the team are full time coaches who don't have time or desire for more practice.  But, the whole notion of socialization/comaraderie seems to be competely absent from this team, and this league.  Maybe nobody wants to hang with the old guy.

Having said that, being team captain seems like a thankless job.  You have to love it for its own sake.

O Captain! My Captain!

O CAPTAIN! my Captain! our fearful trip is done;

The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won;  
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,  
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring:  
    But O heart! heart! heart!          5
      O the bleeding drops of red,  
        Where on the deck my Captain lies,  
          Fallen cold and dead.  

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;

Rise up—for you the flag is flung—for you the bugle trills;   10
For you bouquets and ribbon’d wreaths—for you the shores a-crowding;  
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;  
    Here Captain! dear father!  
      This arm beneath your head;  
        It is some dream that on the deck,   15
          You’ve fallen cold and dead.  

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still;

My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will;  
The ship is anchor’d safe and sound, its voyage closed and done;  
From fearful trip, the victor ship, comes in with object won;   20
    Exult, O shores, and ring, O bells!  
      But I, with mournful tread,  
        Walk the deck my Captain lies,  
          Fallen cold and dead.

as a captain i would hit the ball so hard they would call me

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4693472459687466&pid=15.1

hehe. Still eat that cereal?

Yes, but the rules of tennis require the ball to land inside the white line BEFORE it hits the back fence.

Maybe it would be better to call him

HA!  Now we finally figure out what V has been dressing up as for Halloween!!!

HA!  It is not all about muscle, is it, Paul?

Paul dont be a

Don't be a drippy ghost?

RSS

Like Us!

Marketplace

© 2024   Created by Mark / The Mayor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service