Tennisopolis : Tennis Social Network

Lets get this area of the forum going. It doesn't have to be tennis related I guess. But I'll throw one out there for you to chew on -

It is SERIOUSLY distracting for the service returner to return the missed first serve when it is clearly going long. Like, what? Am I your freaking ball boy? I'm trying to serve here. It kills the rhythm to stop between 1st and 2nd serves to clean up after your lazy opponent.

OK, glad I got that off my chest.
Can anyone please concur and let me know that this is a reasonable request. :-)

Views: 1283

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

true dat! i know i was guilty of it before i saw the light, but since then i've wondered why people say it. it's not that it rolls off the tongue easier with the "t"... or does it? wimbleton, wimbledon, wimbleton, wimbledon...

That's hilarious!!!!

I have probably done that a million times.

I'm not sure, but I think people say it because it "sounds more british". I just started a unique discussion thread just for this right here: wimbledon or wimbleton.
M
I know this is a fairly old thread and my response is pretty late, but I don't see what the problem is with returning a missed first serve. First off, if you're going to give me a practice swing at a first serve, then I'm going to take it. Second, if the ball is going to be near me on the serve, I'm not gonna let it go out so that I'll have to pick it up later for the server. I'm not the server's ball boy. If you're worried about losing your rhythm, try not to miss your first serve. That gives the server the advantage anyways, and as a returner, I'm looking to take any advantage I can that's within the rules. Like you said, the server loses rhythm, that's exactly what the returner's trying to get, a rhythm on the serve to get a strong return back.

Call me crazy but, when you are on the court it's fair game. As long as it's in the rules.

Totally agree however, what is not cool is to be a total Jerk on purpose.

Jason, i gotta agree with you. If the missed first serve is within my reach, i'm going to try to save myself a post-point jog to a ball that might otherwise be three courts over (and you know those guys will want to immediately return the ball and maybe further interrupt our point). I try to bunt the ball either into the bottom of the net or into a corner or at my own backstop. really, whatever to keep it in control!
Tennis pet peeves?
- Opponents who need to pick up the 3rd ball regardless of where it is and when it's obviously not needed to play the next point.
- Players who foot fault on every serve.
- Players who try to hit winners when warming up.
- Players who treat changeovers like they're mini-vacations.
Definitely!
How about someone that doesn't call the ball out, but just walks over to the other side. You know what happened, but you are always on edge wondering if you should hit the next ball or not. It's hard to explain.....
I have so many of these I should probably stop. Another version of the opponent who needs the 3rd ball.... he/she has 2 balls and is serving. I have the 3rd. The opponent calls for the 3rd ball and doesn't hold onto it, but taps it past the baseline. What's the point of that?

Another one - a lot of people do this, so I'm sorry if I offend anyone. The server who has one or two balls on him/her after the last point of a game before a changeover. But instead of just handing me the balls as we pass each other on the changeover, takes them and drops them on the court so I have to go pick them up. I hate that! Am I alone on this one?

Last one for now. The server who hits a 1st serve into the net. The ball starts rolling back to the point where it is clearly going to be in the way, but he/she stands there forever watching it as if it's somehow going to accelerate and leave the court. Finally, they walk up and get it out of the way.
I've got two current pet peeves:

1. My tennis partner is constantly correcting my technique when he can barely hit well himself! In my mind I am always telling him to "GO COACH HIMSELF!!" Please free to replace the word "coach" with any other "happy word". Ha ha!!

And...

2. When I play doubles and my partner yells 'yours!' on shots that are obviously mine. This annoys the heck out of me!!
Sounds like you need to get a better doubles partner...

Keebler said:
I've got two current pet peeves:

1. My tennis partner is constantly correcting my technique when he can barely hit well himself! In my mind I am always telling him to "GO COACH HIMSELF!!" Please free to replace the word "coach" with any other "happy word". Ha ha!!

And...

2. When I play doubles and my partner yells 'yours!' on shots that are obviously mine. That annoys the heck out of me!!
Word!

RSS

Like Us!

Marketplace

© 2024   Created by Mark / The Mayor.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service